What happens if the tipper barrel breaks, is damaged or gets lost?
The cart is owned by All American Waste and is being provided to you as part of the contract with the town. They are responsible for routine maintenance (e.g. wheel replacement). For repairs, call All American at 860-289-7850. If your cart is damaged or lost, call All American Waste to receive a new cart. The homeowner is responsible for the cost of lost or damaged carts. Currently the cost is $75, including delivery. They should be delivered within two days. Keep in mind this is no different than replacing your current trash can.

Show All Answers

1. My trash or recycling wasn't picked up even though I had it out on time. What should I do?
2. What day will my trash be picked up?
3. Forgot to put your items out on your pick-up day? Going on vacation?
4. What happens if the tipper barrel breaks, is damaged or gets lost?
5. What do I do if my trash or recycling exceeds the tipper barrel capacity? Will they pick up additional items outside of the barrel?
6. I have too much cardboard to fit in the barrel, what do I do?
7. How do I obtain a different size of tipper barrel?
8. I'm experiencing a hardship and would like to reduce my tipper barrel size. Can the swap fee be waived?
9. Do I need to use plastics bags in the tipper barrel or can I put trash directly in?
10. Who is responsible for cleaning the barrel?
11. Can I mark my barrel with my name or street address?
12. How do I dispose of electronics?
13. How do I dispose of metal?
14. Can I recycle shredded paper?
15. I am elderly or handicapped and unable to bring my trash to the curb, what are my options?
16. How should i dispose of Sharps?
17. What is Coventry's residential solid waste generated per capita?